Who We Are
- PSEA Building
The Post-Secondary Employers' Association (PSEA) is the employer bargaining agent for all public colleges, special-purpose teaching universities, and institutes in British Columbia. These nineteen institutions constitute the BC Post-Secondary sector. They are governed by the College & Institute Act and the University Act, respectively.
PSEA is a Society created under the Public Sector Employers Act. It has been in operation since January 1994 and was officially incorporated in May 1994. On February 4, 2004 by Order in Council, PSEA became the employer bargaining agent for each of its member institutions.
The purposes of the Association as set out in its Constitution are:
- To coordinate the following amongst its members:
- Compensation for employees who are not subject to collective agreements,
- Benefits administration,
- Human Resources best practices, and
- Collective bargaining objectives;
- To assist the Public Sector Employers' Council established under the Public Sector Employers' Act in carrying out any objectives and strategic directions established by the Council;
- To bargain collectively on behalf of its members and to bind its members to collective agreements;
- To coordinate collective bargaining and to establish policies for the content, administration and interpretation of collective agreements;
- To advise on grievances and to represent a member in any arbitration or other matter or proceeding which is of interest or concern to the Society or any member;
- To negotiate on behalf of its members with representatives of employees;
- To foster consultation between:
- The Association and representatives of the employees of its Members, and
- Its Members.
Please note that our Constitution and Bylaws were amended in November 2008. The revised Constitution and Bylaws were passed by Special Resolution at the PSEA AGM on September 23, 2008 and approved by Minister of Advanced Education and Labour Market Adjustment, Murray Coell, on November 4, 2008. A copy of our former Constitution and Bylaws can be found on the Board of Directors webpage.